Friday, January 27, 2017

Why be a "prepper"?


Everybody has their own reasons to prep.

One of my main reasons is that I find thinking about processes, infrastructure, systemic weaknesses and how people react to be infinitely more interesting than crossword puzzles.

I would rather think about the heat transfer characteristics of a tandoor oven than try to remember the name of the river that flows through Dudinka, Russian Federation (hint, first three letters Yen____).  I would far rather perseverate on building the perfect semi-dwarf apple tree for Eaton County, Michigan than fumble through a single Sudoku puzzle.

I like real problems.  They keep my mind and body sharp.

Frankly, I hope I never NEED to use my preps.  I take joy in blogging.  I love tasting apples and get great enjoyment at inviting my coffee-drinking buddies to help me pick and distribute produce to needy families.  I like hunting and fishing for recreation; the food is a bonus.  That is plenty of motivation.

My prepping is not driven by fear.  Not that fear is a "bad" emotion.  Fear is very useful in the proper time and place provided it is not paralyzing.  I prep because that is how I am wired.

But if the balloon goes up, I hope to be more "ready" than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.