Friday, October 9, 2015

Hickory Nuts

Yesterday was my day for picking up hickory nuts.  I found two trees that were gracious enough to grow close to the road so I could pick them without trespassing.  

There are still plenty of nuts left.  The location of this tree can be found by clicking HERE


I started harvesting with a rake and a scoop shovel.  It took less than a minute to fill a five gallon bucket and the "take" was three-quarters husks.  I decided to slow down and start over.


There is a saying on Wall Street, "Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered."  I came very close to being a hog.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of nuts from the two trees that I collected from.  The tree I collected from yesterday is the top photo.  You can see that the "sinuses" of the nut meat are much shallower than those on the bottom nut.  The nut on top cracks out more easily, that is why I collected so many of them.  Some will be used for seed.  Others will be cracked out for eating.

I will go back next spring and see about collecting some scionwood from that tree.

1 comment:

  1. Yes sir! That top one looks good! Definitely 'collectible'.
    Looks like a good crop for you this year. Most of the trees I regularly gather from have virtually no nuts this year - guess it was just too rainy during bloom/pollenation period.
    Still have a bunch in the freezer from last year, so I won't starve. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.