Friday, February 21, 2014

Are You a Doomsday Prepper?

One of Kubota's friends was over and he asked me "Are you a Doomsday Prepper?"

Reloading


Word is getting around certain circles in the Eaton Rapids Middle School that Kubota "makes bullets".

When he has a friend come over they often (always) ask about it.  I go with them to the basement because that is the responsible, adult thing to do.

The 12 gauge Lee Load-All is set up to crank out 7/8 ounce of #6 shot over 17 grains of Red Dot.  That has a book pressure of 7500 psi verses a SAAMI maximum of 11,500 psi for standard 12 gauge shells.  The load is very, very mild and the bag of shot and bottle of powder go a long way.

Kubota's friend took to it like a duck to water.  He got a huge kick out of each shell he cranked out.  Part of the joy was being able to walk up the stairs, remove Kubota's Mossberg from the gun safe and try to bust some clay birds with the shells he loaded the minute before.  (Yes, we did that outside.)  To quote Junior Doughty, some things are better than money.

The Family


I know the family a little bit.

I put together a laundry basket with a "loaner" Lee Load-All and the makings for about 200 rounds.  I will loan that to the Dad when he comes over to pick up Junior in the morning.  I included a separate bag with a bottle of Blue Dot, some bushings and some Federal Hulls so Dad can crank out some turkey loads for this spring's hunting.  The only thing I did not have for the turkey loads are the Remington RP12 wads.

Am I a Doomsday Prepper?


No.

Mostly, I enjoy doing this kind of stuff.  I enjoy seeing kids get excited.  I enjoy teaching kids about making things---and being safe while doing it.

And I see great utility in being able to make my own "bullets" and grow my own fruit and vegetables.

I won't be surprised if I get some RP12 wads out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.